Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bridesmaid Dresses


I'm having a rather large wedding party.
As in 12 girls.
I have four sisters, and my fiance has three, so add to that four more friends and one niece and you have my bridal party! The breakdown: oldest two sisters = maids of honor; sister-in-laws + friends = bridesmaids; niece = junior bridesmaid; two youngest sisters = flower girls. It's a lot, I know, and often a "budget" tip is to limit the size of your wedding party. However, for me, I would rather have a large wedding party and include those who are really important to me than leave someone out. In my mind, the more the merrier!
However, I would hate to force everyone to go out and buy a super-expensive dress, so I opted for the common but nice wedding retail chain, David's Bridal, for my bridesmaid and maid of honor dresses. Check them out here! I'm going with the 'lapis' color choice.
The dresses have a sort of elegant but breezy, almost Grecian feel to them, and they compliment my bridal gown nicely. Also, when I went with some of the girls, they all loved this dress and it was universally flattering on every body type - something key to keep in mind (at least if you want your girls to feel comfortable!)

For the flower girls, I will be going with traditional Chinese silk dresses in either a silver or coordinating white or purple shade. I decided to go with the Chinese dresses for a few reasons: 1.) both of my younger sisters are adopted from China, 2.) they're gorgeous and stylish, and 3.) my fiance and I both love Asian-inspired details and decor. So it just worked well, and you can get them for super budget-friendly prices (try less than $20...yeah).
The girls will also be carrying parasols (like the ones in the photo above - credit goes to theknot.com for the photo, btw) rather than the traditional baskets of flower petals, for no other reason than I just like the idea and think it will look adorable. I love my little Chinese princesses and can't wait to show them off at the wedding ;)

The junior bridesmaid dress is still undecided, as her mom is an amazing seamstress and has free reign to design a matching dress however she likes!

My dress....well, that's top secret until the big day! Ha!


Rachael's Budget-Friendly Tips for Bridal Parties:
* Check out chain retail stores like David's Bridal, especially during their annual sale.
These stores offer stylish designer copies for far less than actual designer or boutique dresses (something your friends will appreciate).

* It also can't hurt to check out your local department store's prom dress selection.
Buying dresses off the rack can be a great budget-saving option for you and your bridesmaids, and stores often offer a great selection of cocktail or prom dresses that work just as great as bridal party wear. Who knows, you might even find a great white dress that could double as a wedding gown!

*Don't forget stores like Nordestrom's Rack, Loehman's, or Marshall's.
These stores offer great designer fare at a discount price. I swear by Nordestrom's Rack for jeans - how else could I ever afford the True Religion and Joe's Jeans I so adore?! They're just as great for dresses and evening ware, too - you just need to be willing to do some digging!

*Be creative.
Opting for something less traditional but still as fashionable can be a great way to save cash. Chinese silk dresses are elegant and affordable, and add an ultra-fashionable Asian flare to your event. Be creative - what about a beautiful sari? a Bohemian sundress? Creative, unique touches like this will set your wedding apart and make it a true reflection of your personal style.

No comments:

Post a Comment